Werewolves are in right now, but were they ever really out? Classic Hollywood werewolf movies abound, from 1941’s The Wolf Man, starring Lon Chaney Jr. and Claude Raines to I was a Teenage Werewolf, with Michael Landon, ca. 1957. The Twilight series has brought werewolves back into the spotlight, with teen heartthrob Taylor Lautner cast as Jacob Black, a werewolf fighting Robert Pattinson’s “Edward,” (a vampire) for Bella’s (played by Kristen Stewart) affection.
A Little Bit Werewolf, a Little Bit Rock and Roll
I like to think that each of us has a bit of werewolf in us: heightened senses when we’re excited, strength to overcome obstacles, and, most importantly, a little bit of “wild” that comes out during a full moon.
I think some of the most fun parties are those which are NOT associated with “BIG HOLIDAYS.” Get togethers planned purely for having fun (with maybe a minor event excuse, See: My Annual Kentucky Derby Party) are great, because nobody really has expectations. What involves less pressure than a full moon? Everyone’s a little bit willing to get a little bit crazy during a full moon. That’s when everyone’s inner werewolf peeks out a bit.
Howl to Throw a Werewolf Party during the Full Moon
I couldn’t resist the pun. There have been far too few puns in my posts lately. But, seriously, here’s how to have serious fun with a full moon werewolf party.
The right tunes are necessary to keep every party going. Here’s what to play at your full moon party:
- Soundtrack from the movie New Moon. Includes songs like “Shooting the Moon” and “Meet me on the Equinox”
- Wild Thang
- Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon
- Will the Wolf Survive? by Los Lobos
- Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran
- Loup Garou by Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown
- Little Red Riding Hood by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs
- Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival
- I’m a Werewolf, Baby by The Tragically Hip
- She Wolf by Shakira
- We Bite by the Misfits
- Neon Moon by Brooks and Dunn (I couldn’t RESIST)
- Blue Moon sung by Elvis Presley
- Dancin’ in the Moonlight by King Harvest
Moon-tains of Food
- You can serve werewolf favorites (MEAT): hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, steak, etc.
- Moon pies are a “punny” snack for a full moon party.
- Sparkly, silvery drinks are good for a moonlight party: Gin and tonic (for the over 21 crowd), with half moon wedges of limes, and a Sprite Spritzer (for the under 21 crowd) made with lots of crushed ice, sprite, and a splash of “blood” (grenadine).
- “Werewolf kibble” or spiced nuts and party mix
Decorating for a full moon party can be tons of fun. Evening, shiny moonlight, shadows where werewolves might lurk. . . Here are some decoration best bets:
- Twinkling white lights
- Silver moon cutouts (either purchased or made from VERY smooth foil-the shiny side)
- Dangling bits of moonlight (mylar strips)
- Lights with blue gels over them shining this way or that, to cast a bluish glow
- A dark room with blacklights
- Silver stars
- Floating moon and stars balloons
To have the perfect atmosphere, stick with silvery and metallic tones, blues and whites. A moonlight party should have a very “cool” feel to it. (Stay away from golds, bronzes, and warm tones).
For more fun with Werewolves, and to win a copy of Claire de Lune, a werewolf book with a twist (all of the werewolves are female!), head over to The Garden of Words (my home blog).
Also, check out Christine Johnson’s blog