Yo Gabba Gabba! is a super-hot right now, not only among toddlers but even college kids – it even won a daytime Emmy. The funky and retro music, minimalist style and famous guest stars (Snoop Dog made an appearance in their live show) has made it a hit and hip phenomenon. So, like any good parent, you’re almost certainly brainstorming ways that you can put your creative talents to use and make your child’s Yo Gabba Gabba party wonderful.
Now here’s the dilemma: as much as you may wish to make your child’s party true to the hit show, you may (like me – shhh) be a bit shaky with your icing freehand. Or perhaps you’re simply short on time. Do not feel guilty about this. With some adorable Yo Gabba Gabba! cake toppers and one easy cupcake recipe, you can make a party treat the birthday boy or girl will absolutely love!
Here’s how to get that great look you want without the mess and time.
Easy Vanilla Cupcakes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (no baking powder added)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 cup milk (2% is fine, but don’t go lower in percentage than this)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- icing in Yo Gabba Gabba! character colors, or vanilla icing plus food color drops
Also have these items ready:
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Cupcake pans
- Cupcake liners in colors that match the Yo Gabba Gabba! characters
- Yo Gabba Gabba! cake toppers
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Make sure the baking powder is evenly distributed by giving the mixture a good stir, but don’t over-stir.
- Add shortening, milk and vanilla and, using your mixer, blend for 1 minute on medium. Scrape sides of bowl down.
- Add eggs and mix for 2 minutes and 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl down twice during the mixing.
- Pour or spoon the batter into cupcake liners, 1/2 – 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then take cupcakes out of the pans and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with icing in Yo Gabba Gabba! character colors.
- Insert the corresponding character cake topper into each cupcake.
That’s it! Yes, it’s that easy, and you will be able to say that you made these yourself, since you’ll be creating the cakes by hand rather than using a mix. It’s the perfect way to combine good intentions with a polished (and fun) finished look. Enjoy!